Sunday, August 23, 2009

Big Plans

There is a funny equation in my mind about this whole weight loss surgery. Somehow, I have also concluded that not only am I going to get slimmer, but I am also going to get YOUNGER. I don't know why I think the two of those go together. Silly huh? Here is why I have identified that correlation.

I keep seeing outfits that I think I will someday be able to wear again. For example, one night last week I saw a young lady going into the country/western dance club up the road in a short skirt and cowboy boots. She looked too, too cute. Much like Kaitlin, my 20-year old daughter does, when she wears a similar ensemble. But what about that is going to look good on a 40-something woman. Probably nothing! I think just because I am going to get down into normal-sized clothes that I will somehow be able to wear anything I want. Just because it might fit, doesn't necessarily mean it would be a good thing to wear! Right!

As I have gotten bigger and bigger, I have had to fight the tendancy to dress like a grandma. Not there this is anything wrong with the way grandma's dress, but just because I have had to shop at Tents by Omar hasn't meant I have had to look like I was older than my true age. I have forgotten how to dress young. Realistically, I am still YOUNG. I am only 41 and that is not old enough to require double knit pants, cardigans and sensible shoes. It has been at least 10 years since I haven't had to shop in the plus-sized section of a store. And let's be honest, it is hard to find cute, age-appropriate clothing for fluffy girls. If you haven't had that struggle, count yourself blessed and take my word for it. It is difficult.

Maybe the correlation I have between losing weight and getting younger is true. I am sure I will feel younger with more energy and even a better center of gravity so I don't feel so clumsy. It won't mean I have to wear extremely low cut jeans, short, short skirts and skin-tight shirts. It will mean I will be able to shop in a regular section in a store, chose age-appropriate clothing and not only feel comfortable in my clothes but look good as well. I can't wait!

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I am so excited for you too!! I just can't wait..the day is almost here!

    -Shaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn,
    I love keeping up with the blog! I want to encourage you to take pictures all along the way so that on days that are HARD.....you can look back at pictures just a couple of weeks old and bask in the accomplishment and observe the difference you see in the mirror! Good luck and I will be praying for you!! your friend, Galin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I'm late to the game on this post, but I just found your blog. I would agree with the connection between weight loss and age. When I look back at my fat pictures, I look older. I think it has to do with the fact that most young people are thinner, and many people tend to get bigger as they get older. So we associate thinness with youth. Although Kacie (my oldest daughter) told me recently that my wrinkles are more evident since I lost weight. Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete